Summary of the project
The European Commission has suspended the cooperation with the Russian Federation within this Programme and participation of Russian beneficiaries in project implementation is suspended as well.
“Development of the green tourism routes uniting the border regions of Latvia and Russia for common sustainable development of small cities and rural areas” (“Greenways Riga-Pskov”) is aiming at turning cross-border cultural and natural resources (railway history, natural trails, nearby tourism natural and culture objects) into joint sustainable tourism products that give economic benefit to the whole region via developing Greenways – non-motorized transport corridors that are based on former railways, river, canals and forest paths – suitable for hikers and cyclists.
12 partners led by Vilaka Municipality Council will work on GW Riga-Pskov joint trail improvement, to offer the visitors un-interrupted and safe possibilities to travel among historic and cultural tourism objects in Latvia and Russia.
The partnership includes 6 municipalities from Latvia, 4 districts from Russia and 2 umbrella organizations to support them.
Project activities are focusing on 3 key areas:
- Development of Greenways infrastructure in Latvia-Russia border regions;
- Development of Riga-Pskov Greenways tourism product and promotion thereof in and beyond the Programe area;
- Improvement of target groups and project partners staff capacities.
Though the concept of Greenways is partly new to the Programme territory, the project taps on existing experience of Greenways in Europe offering new, sustainable, eco-friendly approach to tourism in Latvia and Russia.
- Total budget - 793 036.00 EUR
- Programme co-financing - 713 732.40 EUR
List of partners:
- Viļaka Municipality Council
- Vidzeme Tourism Association
- Pskov Region Committee for Tourism
- Administration of the Pskovsky district
- Administration of the Ostrovsky district
- Administration of the Pytalovsky district
- Balvi Municipality Council
- Gulbene Municipality Council
- Ērgļi Municipality Council
- Ogre Municipality Council
- Ropaži Municipality Council
- Administration of the Palkinsky district
|Viļaka Municipality Council
Abrenes street 26, Viļaka, Viļakas nov., LV-4583, Latvia
|Total partner budget:
106 252.00 EUR